Chromebooks are lightweight, convenient, and straightforward devices that have recently supported Android applications. They're relatively secure, but if you're using Chromebook on public Wi-Fi and want to keep your connection safe or just access more content, you need a VPN. It is possible to install a VPN application for Android on a Chromebook or configure it via OpenVPN or L2TP / IPsec manually.
According to many experts and users, the best VPN for Chrome OS is Nord VPN - it is optimal for real-time protection, provides the highest speeds and 100% security, and blocks ads in applications and websites.
List of the best VPN for Chrome OS
#1. ExpressVPN - ExpressVPN for Chrome OS - Available in 15 languages, ExpressVPN also supports Acer, HP, Google, Asus, Samsung, and more.
#2. NordVPN - NordVPN for Chrome OS installs as a device app or as a web extension, has an automatic configuration, and has more than 5,300 servers in 59 locations.
#3. PureVPN - PureVPN for Chrome OS - With more than 2,000 servers and 300,000 IP addresses, PureVPN provides full accessibility and easy installation from Google Play. Lastly, a 7-day trial is available for $0.99.
Installing VPN on Chromebook via Android App
First, make sure your device is updated to the latest version and supports the Google Play Store. Perhaps, to see it, you need to enable this option in the settings. Sign in to Google Play and download the VPN app on your Chromebook. Check out our Android VPN guide to find the best VPN for your Chromebook. If possible, it is better to download not from the Play Market, but the developer’s official website - Google cuts out some functions, for example, adblocking. But in this case, you will have to update the application manually, and those installed from the application store are updated automatically.
Warning: There are many unverified free VPN apps for Chromebooks on Google Play that contain spyware, change search results, collect information about you, etc. Check out our free VPN review to find out more.
Installing a VPN extension on your Chromebook
You don't necessarily need a Chromebook VPN; many people need a VPN extension for the Chrome browser. Among the addons, there are many free proxies for changing IP on Chromebooks, and there are also inexpensive full-featured VPNs and shareware VPN plugins with some traffic, server, or speed limits.
VPN setup on Chrome OS
Since Google Play is not supported on older versions, VPN developers suggest setting up the connection manually. If your provider offers a VPN extension for your Chromebook, the same page will usually have instructions on how to set up via OpenVPN or L2TP / IPsec. Conveniently, you can generally try the VPN for free for 30 days before making a purchase decision for a more extended period.
One of the best VPNs for Chromebooks that offers blazing streaming speeds and can unblock content in 94 countries is ExpressVPN—supported on Acer, HP, Google, Asus, Samsung, and other models (a complete list can be found on the website). The extension is not supported, but the Android client works fine on different versions, and you can manually install ExpressVPN on your Chromebook via L2TP / IPsec.
- 94 countries, 3,200+ servers
- Up to 5 devices at the same time
- Automatic configuration
- Price from $6.67 per month
Installation of NordVPN on Chromebooks is offered via the Android app or full-fledged Chrome browser extension; manual configuration is not provided. An advantage is the CyberSec function, which blocks ads in applications, games, and websites. Nord VPN for Chrome OS is 100% guaranteed to protect your privacy and security and provide full access to streaming services, including Netflix.
- 59 countries, 5,200+ servers
- Dedicated servers for P2P
- Up to 6 devices per license
- Prices as low as $3.71 per month
- How to Download and Install VPN on School Chromebook?
- Most school Chromebooks have a locked app store. You can download the .APK file from NordVPN and try transferring it to your device, possibly via your phone. Or set up an L2TP / IPsec connection as instructed by ExpressVPN. These are paid services, but one license can be split across 5–6 devices with friends.
- What's the best free VPN for Chrome OS?
- Try Windscribe and HideMe for a combined 20GB of traffic for a month. But for a high-speed connection and unlimited traffic, it is better to buy long-term packages, for example, from Surfshark VPN or NordVPN
- How do you know if you can use the VPN app on your Chromebook
- Certain Chromebooks, Chromeboxes, and Chromebase, released before 2019, can install Android apps; see the Chromium official website for a complete list. All devices released in 2019 or later will support Android apps.